Thursday 20 December 2012

Day 116 - Family + Chocolate + Deodorant + Steak

Today I welcomed two very special guests to New York. My Dad and Helen made the cross Atlantic trip over to the United States to come and see ‘my’ New York and do a bit of Christmas Shopping.

I was like an excitable kid at the arrival lounge while waiting with all the Chauffer drivers to meet and greet our relevant VIPs’. As the drivers were looking depressed and impatient in their ill fitting suits and un-polished shoes, I was stood their beaming and fidgety.

After they had settled in the hotel, Dad pulled one of the suitcases onto the bed. You may remember a few weeks ago that I wrote a blog post on the ‘average to poor’ standard of American chocolate. To rectify this issue, they bought Tesco’s 2013 stock of the good stuff and made sure that I would not be without! I am also not really getting on with America’s ‘roll-on’ deodorant affixation and so asked them to buy me a few cans of SPRAY deodorant. To avoid inconsistency with their previous buying behaviors, they followed suit and bought me sixteen cans of the stuff. SIXTEEN! Either I stink or they are extremely generous. I came to the conclusion that both statements are in fact correct.

To ensure that they got the best impression of ‘my’ New York, I took them to a New York institution; Keens Steakhouse. Dating back to the late 1800s, Keens Steakhouse was once a place where people could come and smoke their churchwarden pipes. Einstein, Teddy Roosevelt and J.P.Morgan are a few of the names to have graced this fine establishment.

Although you can no longer smoke your churchwarden pipe (if you do happen to be one of the six people who own one) you can eat one of their unbelievably good steaks! I went for the T-bone steak and although it did its damndest to put me in a meat coma, I trudged through and devoured the lot.









1 comment: