Thursday 20 December 2012

Day 123 - Volunteering @ Midnight Run

Tonight I volunteered for the Midnight Run charity. An organisation whose aim is to provide the bare essentials to the homeless within NYC. We prepared the food, organised the clothes and went to various stops around midtown manhattan. Out of respect, I didn't want to take any pictures while I was out and about.

On the way to our first stop, I did not really know what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting an extremely polite group of people who were very grateful and curious as to why we were doing this. I didn't really know what to say to that question, other than "because I can and because I want to."

At our last stop, there was one lady that got to our van later than the others. Unfortunately, we had ran out of most of the clothes and she was looking for anything to keep her warm. Having searched all around our van, I had nothing to give her. I decided that I would give her my scarf and gloves and just pretended that I had not seen them in the van so not to cause a fuss. 

I will definitely be doing this again. It is without a doubt the best thing I have done since I have arrived in New York.



No comments:

Post a Comment