Thursday 20 December 2012

Day 117 - Spiderman Turn Off The Dark

I was treated to my first Broadway show tonight, Spiderman Turn Off The Dark. The best way to describe it is by referring to my description of American chocolate (see previous blog post for clarification).

After reading up on the show, I was pretty psyched. It was the most expensive broadway show ever; had (emphasise had) the director from the hugely successful Lion King and contains music and lyrics from Bono and The Edge. Perfect combination you would think. To be fair to it though, I am a big fan of the blockbuster movies, so it was going to have to be something special to be on the same level as these.

Admittedly the air acrobatics were pretty cool but the rest left you somewhat desiring for more. During each neck cranking, air walking scene, I was trying to work out why it was so expensive. For example, the props would not look out of place at a primary school nativity, the acting was ok and Spiderman was clearly not using a gym. At the half time interval, when we went to get Spiderman some food to bulk up for Act II, it suddenly clicked why it was the most expensive broadway show ever; they are paying for empty seats. The six or seven empty rows behind us, did not have one person in. Even the usher chose to stand up and stare at the wall!

Nevertheless, I am happy that I have been to my first broadway show and keep up a Lee Christmas tradition of going to see a pantomime!


No comments:

Post a Comment