Tuesday 12 February 2013

Day 177 - Grand Central Museum

I had 30 mins to burn while I was waiting for a meeting today after work, so went to the Grand Central museum, in the entrance to the magnificent station. One of the most interesting, time killing moments I have spent in NY.

Did you know that Grand Central was almost torn down in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s? In 1990 a $400million revamp took place to turn it into what it is today.

Many architects put forward designs and plans for a new building to stand in its place. I took pictures of the best. Well actually they are (in my opinion) atrocities, so maybe they were the two worst. Although, they would eventually be accepted, to lose the history of the original Grand Central would have been such a shame.

As St Pancras is one of my favourite buildings in London, I think Grand Central is becoming my favourite building in New York.



No comments:

Post a Comment