Thursday 28 February 2013

Day 193 - Rugby Legends 2013

Tonight I went to the Rugby Legends dinner at the New York Athletics Club. I know that when I look back on my time here, this will be one of major highlights. If not the highlight!

For the fifth year running, Captain's Knock has invited sporting legends to help raise money for a variety of charities. Tonight's guests were Jeremy Guscott, Warren Gatland, Gavin Hastings, Paul Wallace and Martin Johnson. To say I was slightly starstruck would be a major understatement.

Jeremy Guscott chaired the onstage interviews with each of the honoured guests. Having watched him year in year out on the BBC, I expected a straight laced, formal interview.

Not. A. Chance. This was a rugby dinner with an open bar after all!

The banter that flowed between the top talent was hilarious. For example, the way Jeremy Guscott introduced Martin Johnson onto the stage was comedy gold;

"...and finally we have the only player too have captained the Lions on two separate tours, win the Heineken cup six times and of course the World Cup. Martin Johnson, amazing player, shit coach!".

Throughout the night there were multiple auctions for charity. There were multiple signed jerseys of all different sporting heroes, including Messi, Hoy, Wiggins and Wilkinson. I thought I would test my luck and put a bid in for the Chris Hoy signed jersey. However, I was the highest bid for about 30 seconds. Most of the items went above the Mountbatten budget fairly promptly.

To have attended this event in the New York Athletic's Club, made it even more of a dream occasion for me. I will never forget this night. Ever!





When I momentarily was the highest bidder, before it went for a few grand. Slightly out of the Mountbatten budget!
Warren Gatland
Paul Wallace 
Martin Johnson
Jeremy Guscott
Gavin Hastings


No comments:

Post a Comment