Sunday 3 March 2013

Day 197 - Climbed the Rock

Climb the Rock day has arrived!

We had a 6am wake up, so we could get across to the Rockefeller Centre with enough time to prepare before our 8.15am start. I had a weird sense of excitement and nervousness as I woke up and got ready. This was quickly disparaged though, as we found ourselves running for the train!

When we got there, the organisers had the atmosphere booming. Music was blaring, people were cheering, high fives were being handed out liberally. It did a brilliant job at getting you in the right frame of mind to run 1,215 steps.

The organisers had the start down to perfection. You set off individually at 20 second intervals, so not to crowd the first few flights. It was slightly discomforting though, as you didn't really know if you had started or not. 

As I was making my way up the stairs, I was seeing people of all shapes and sizes, willing to high five you, pat you on the back and humorously ask you for a lift. I even passed a few people in costumes. Huge respect for them, because that stairway was hot! There were volunteers on each flight, more than willing to cheer you on, tell you how far you have been and how far you have to go. The support really was terrific. I even saw a guy that was freestyle rapping to the runners as they went up.

When you reached the top, the roar and round of applause was huge, with people saying thank you  and well done all in one. To make it even better you had the New York City skyline staring straight back at you. I am more than happy to say that I got to the top in 12mins 31seconds and was the fastest person of my team. You can see all the results in the link below. I came 75th out of 1,059 people, in which for a man with the infamous 'LeeLegs' I am pretty chuffed with that.


Thank you to everyone who sponsored me and offered their best wishes. I am sorry that I was bugging you all, yet again, for sponsorship money. Your support has been incredible!

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/alexlee

To the top I go!


For the Big Man!
I think James left everything on the stairs.



Happy to say the least!
Getting those calories back on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment